This was one of my favorite gifts to make. If you’re not in a time crunch, this is the perfect sentimental gift to give to your best friend who is moving away. My friend that I’ve known since 6th grade went off to graduate school to the Netherlands and I wanted to give her something special that she could put in her new room.
What You’ll Need:
I’ve included links to Amazon, which is where I find the cheapest deals
- White canvas
- Colored paper for the countries (or you can choose to print them out)
- Thin black sharpie (or color of your choice)
- Hot glue gun (and glue sticks)
- Plastic grid
- A photograph of your choosing, 4×6 works best
- Plug the hot glue gun in. I chose to use this instead of regular glue because I wanted to ensure the ribbon wouldn’t come off.
- Cut the ribbon in 4 pieces for each length of the canvas. Cutting the corners can be tricky but try to trim them as much in the middle as possible. It’s always better to cut less and trim than to cut too much at first.
- Glue each piece of ribbon down with the glue gun. If you’ve never used hot glue, it dries fast, so only do a few inches at a time.
- Use the plastic grid to space out the quote, “Best friends are like stars. You don’t always see them but you know they’re there.” I used the pencil to draw very faint horizontal lines to use as a guide when writing it out. Make sure to leave enough room for the photograph and countries.
- If you’re like me, you have to outline words first. I used the pencil to draft the quote and then drew over it with the sharpie.
- Glue down the photograph. Make sure it is centered from the left to right. You can also use the grid for this as well.
- Cut the outline of the countries and use the hot glue gun to secure them in between the photograph and the quote. I also found scrapbook art of the Netherlands, which I placed below the outline of the country.
- Using the sharpie, draw a circle where the cities are and connect them with a dotted line.
There you have it! I hope this was helpful–feel free to leave comments below! Thank you for reading.
Author: Lauren Taylar
Lauren Taylar is a digital marketer and blogger. She is a graduate of the State University of New York at Oswego, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in public relations. When she’s not volunteering her time with Make-A-Wish, you can find her reading a travel magazine and sipping a glass of hard cider or wine.